Microsoft releases its Windows updates from time to time and along the way also produces completely new packages and operating systems with massive upgrades. With time, the older ones are removed from the line of upgrades and they start to become redundant. It is therefore very important to keep migrating from one version of Windows to the other regular durations of time. Windows 7 was the last successful edition (many people did not go for Windows 8 due to its problems) before the launch of the latest version of Windows, which is Windows 10. With its positive reviews, many people are thinking of upgrading their Windows to the latest and we are going to show you how to do it.
The up-gradation to the latest hardware would be highly recommended for Windows 10 to work best. The up-gradation is very much the need of the hour as the support period for Windows 7 is already over.
Steps to Get the Windows 10 Upgrade in free
You can only access Windows 10 for free even after the offer period if you had already purchased the Windows 7 license from an authorized vendor.
Before beginning with the process, you need to do a few preliminary tasks to ensure that you don’t hit any roadblock later:
- Confirm the Windows is activated properly.
- Check for the possibility of any recent driver updates.
- Download and install the available BIOS updates for your PC.
- Backup files to an external hard drive
- Uninstall all the third-party security software and low-level system utilities temporarily so that it does not interfere with the process.
- Disconnect any unnecessary external devices connected to the PC.
With these checks out of the way, follow the given steps to complete the installation:
- Download the execution file from the Windows 10 webpage.
- Double click on the file downloaded for running the Media Creation Tool
- Click on “Upgrade this PC now”.
- Complete the process by following all the prompts.
- After the upgrade is complete, move to Settings Update & Security and then to Activation and there you will be able to see the digital license for Windows 10.
This process takes typically an hour, depending on the hardware available. Having an SSD is the best way to increase the speed of the process.
The up-gradation of older Windows versions is very necessary as Microsoft only provides a 10-year long lifetime for each version and then it stops providing security and technical support to the version. So, it is good to grab the latest upgrade of Windows as soon as possible.